Friday, September 16, 2011

For Pete’s Sake, Why Won’t They Hire????

 
16 SEPTEMBER 2011
 Getting to my local coffee shop the other day, I was surprised to see the place overflowing with customers. The line of people waiting for their coffee stretched out the front door, down the steps, around the building, and halfway across the parking lot. There must have been two or three hundred people out there. All waiting in line, looking at their watches, growing disgruntled, wanting to buy their lattes and espressos.

Skipping the line, I went in to talked to the manager, who happens to be a friend of mine.

I asked her, “What happened? Did some of your baristas not show up?”

“No,” she said. “I don’t have anybody else. These are all the baristas I have.”

“Oh?” I asked. “Why not? You can obviously use the help. Can’t you find anybody to work?”

“Oh, I guess I could find plenty of unemployed Americans and put them to work,” she said.

Then she added, “I just feel too uncertain about taxes and regulations and the economy to hire anybody else right now. It’s just the uncertainty.”

Yeah. Right.

Regards,
(($;-)}
Gozo!

____________________
Please see my related post on uncertainty and job-creation, at the following link, below:

No comments:

Post a Comment